Apps for Smart cities is a unique event at the intersection of technology and society.
Putting people and ‘grassroots/ Long Tail’ innovation at the heart of Smart cities, speakers at the Apps for Smart Cities event will share real life experiences from their work including demos and videos.
The discussion will cover a range of topics including Air pollution monitoring, helping people with disabilities, Urban farming, Next generation art, Parking vehicles, The Web, Real time news and updates from sensors, Citizens participation, Quantified self(healthcare), citizens involvement etc.
The event brings together international perspectives with speakers from USA, UK, China, Ireland, Germany and others to Amsterdam.
Apps for Smart cities lays the foundation of a new cross-functional community. We bring together third party developers (web and mobile), Smart city platforms, City officials and planners, Open data personnel, content developers and creators, mobile operators, internet/mobile marketers, venture capitalists and many others
Date : March 29 at the RAI (one of Amsterdam’s largest venues). The event is a part of series of related events on March (27-30). The ‘anchor’ events on these days are intertraffic – which relates to traffic management and Cevitts which relates to charging of electric vehicles. The apps for smart cities will be in at the RAI at the same time as Intertraffic and Cevitts. The events in total are expected to get 20,000 attendees
Pricing is free for developers: for other tickets please contact me at the email address below. Since the event is also cross promoted with other events on the day, we expect the tickets will sell out very soon.
Booths : We have some space for booths demos. Please contact me at address below
Sponsorship: We are already grateful for the support from organizations and also from various bodies in Amsterdam including the City of Amsterdam. However, we welcome sponsors. Please contact me at address below
The apps for Smart cities manifesto
1) To harness the true potential of Smart cities, the city must become a platform i.e. an enabler for developers, creativity and applications. In doing so, the city becomes like the Internet i.e. a connector and an enabler for citizens which aims to empower the citizen.
2) Smart city applications are similar to conventional mobile applications. However, in conjunction with mobile devices which often include sensors, Smart city applications would interface with hardware – typically open source hardware – which enables ‘intelligent data’ spots in the city
3) Smart city apps are oriented towards empowerment of citizens and to ‘Long Tail’ applications
4) Smart city applications could use many existing and new mobile technologies including augmented reality, Android and other platforms but they also include hardware technologies like Arduino, BUG,Funnel , Gainer , Make controller , Wiring , Sun SPOTs , Pinguino , Firmata and others
5) Community , including elements like crowd sourcing, would be an important component of Smart city applications.
6) Smart city applications could have the following 7 elements: (Source: Xi She)
- Sensible – sensors sensing the environment
- Connectable – A networking devices bring the sensing information to the web;
- Accessible – the broader information of our environment is published on the web, and accessible to the user (web);
- Ubiquitous – the user can get access to the information thought web, but more importantly in mobile any time, any place (mobile);
- Sociable – the user can publish the information though his social network
- Sharable – The object itself must be accessible and addressable (not just the data) in a true peer to peer networked manner.
- Visible/augmented – to retrofit the physical environment, make the hidden information seen not only through mobile device by individual but seen in naked eyes in more border range of the physical places like street signs
7) Smart city applications could be based on the following themes
- Smart Manufacturing, New production tools(home produced food, energy, micro- manufacturing, 3D printing)
- Collaboration / sharing of resources via the Internet
- Urban farming
- Apps relating to Open data
- Apps relating to Smart energy
- Apps relating to Smart transportation
- Smart health
- Technology(especially related to open source hardware and s/w)
- Culture(hacker movement)
- And Art
8) Smart city apps enable better and participatory governance. From a governance, investment perspective, the world smart capital initiative offers another definition: A city can be defined as smart when investments in human and social capital and traditional (ex: transport) and modern(ex ICT) communications infrastructure fuel sustainable economic development and a high quality of life with a wise management of natural resources through participatory governance
So, What are apps for smart cities? - Apps for smart cities could be defined as: Apps for Smart city = Intelligent places + Data + Mobile apps + Community + Services = City as a platform
Why is all this important?
Lower the barriers to entry and the crowd pours in and consequently a new industrial organizational mode could be built around small pieces, loosely joined (adapted from Chris Andersen – Wired magazine)
Thus, we hope to bring together a group of diverse thinkers to enable a grassroots revolution at the city level to empower citizens and developers.
Please contact me at ajit.jaokar at futuretext.com for more details