Recently, Thomas made a presentation which asked : IMS is dead, long live EPC?
I can summarise Thomas’s thinking as follows
• LTE roll out will require interworking with other existing and emerging wireless access network technologies
• The 3GPP EPC is the new mobile core network suporting seamless mobility, QoS and charging across multiple IP access networks, incl. 3GPP and non-3GPP access
• EPC shares a lot of concepts with IMS, e.g. overlay architecture concept, HSS, PCC, etc.
• EPC maintains seamless IP connectivity and thus supports QoS and FMC/ABC for multiple application domains, including IMS and internet platforms
• IMS provides a lot of needed capabilities in the voice domain and value added multimedia services domain (e.g. RCS, IPTV, etc)
• However, most of the future Multimedia Web Service don´t need IMS anymore!
And some of these ideas were explored further through a test bed and event organised by Fraunhofer FOKUS
The OpenEPC toolkit helps for early prototyping and the
1st FOKUS FUSECO Forum 2010 will discuss the business and Technical Challenges of Seamless Service Provision in Converging Next Generation Fixed and Mobile Networks
I may blog more here depending on interest. Next Generation networks an an converged networks have always been of interest to me and much is happening in this space