I’ve tried so hard to work with Nokia recently and am coming close to packing it in with them. I wonder if anyone else has given up trying?
– buddycloud has been in Ov store since it’s launch.
– buddycloud is like twitter: short posts and location updates.
It’s taken us about two months to get our application out: one month with Symbian Horizon signing, one month going through the approval hoops at Ovi. 2 months!
This morning I look at the Ovi publisher website and have a comment from OVI (attached below).
What really irks me is the prescriptive nature of how we should build our application. I don’t see the same for Facebook or the various Twitter clients.
Nowhere on their site are their social networking requirements documented for publishers (I’ve looked hard).
At the same time Nokia is writing to us telling us how many downloads we get, how popular we are and inviting us to join all sorts of special programs with them.
Whether they are right or wrong about this (they are probably right), it’s just the sheer frustration of waiting for approval, content checking etc that makes me question even having content distributed through the Ovi store. Pushing content to getjar is a breeze.
Has anyone else pulled the plug on Ovi? How do you get your content into Nokia users hands?
Please note that your item has previously failed 21 days ago because it was not compliant with our new social-networking guidelines. However, given that this item was previously passed and published before this guideline was in place, we are making an exception and allowing it to pass this time without needing the required safety tools. The next time the application is submitted, it needs to be compliant with the following guidelines:
Social networking and chat applications or games which allow communication between users will be required to have all of the safety tools below:
– An age acknowledgement tool at registration that successfully determines if the user’s age is appropriate, and blocks access if he or she does not meet the set age requirement
– A minimum age of 13 is required for all non-romance themed online games and applications
– A minimum age of 18 is required for all romance and dating themed online games and applications
– A ‘Report Abuse’ function must be made easily accessible to the user with clear action provisions outlining how complaints will be responded to
– A ‘Block’ function for blocking abusive or inappropriate users.
Additional metadata requirements apply specifically for chat services/chatrooms only:
– Metadata for chat programs must not imply unapproved content.
– For operator-assisted chat, appropriate disclosure must be made in the metadata description, and terms & conditions of the program.
– Example disclosure wording: This service employs operators who are paid to participate in chat.
If you have any questions, please contact PublishToOvi.Support@nokia.com