(Variant of ) APML for mobile devices ..

A very late night blog on a sat evening .. but still I think this significant ..

I have been following APML for some time ..

More than APML itself, what is intriguing is a variant of APML at a BBC site which is inspired by an article from Matt Biddulph

As the above article says:

APML allows you to share your own attention data. That’s data about what you have given your attention to; whether by browsing websites, reading RSS feeds or listening to music. You could then take your attention data profile and pass it to another website which would then be able to automatically customise itself to your preferences or interests. That seems to be its conventional use-case.

But a variant is

What if you could generate APML for a music radio show? That would be based on the music that the show or DJ has played and, by extension, has been paying attention to.

I find the variant more interesting than the actual use case of APML

Extending this idea .. what if the variant is a mobile device instead of a radio show?

Then it gets very interesting indeed i.e. the attention stream of data generated from a mobile device

Thoughts welcome

So more links below

Comments

1. Sam Sethi says:

APML sadly is a fail case as the actual format for storin g attention does not do what it says on the tin. It does not store your attention. Instead look at the work of Tantek Celik and attention.xml
    I too have looked closely at APML for sometime and the data capture does not deliver what you would need to extract a users attention based on their prior behaviour.
    As for APML on mobile. I would go back to the idea that attention across devices pc, mobile, car, tv ( 4 screens of life) needs to be captured and stored by a user. It then needs to be used/traded with 3rd parties for value. i.e new services can tailor there features or advertisers can be more implicit in their offer.

2. Dan W says:

I find your talk of a ‘variant’ confusing. It is still APML, even if it’s not for a human. An APML file for a mobile phone would have multiple profiles containing different data types such as phone numbers or locations.

Dan
    Thanks for your comments.
    I posted this late into the night. What I meant was variant as a use case i.e. a non traditional use case(see BBC article). I saw the last.fm model and was wondering why not replace the last.fm by a mobile device? Do you know anyone else who is exploring this model? kind rgds Ajit

thanks Sam. Good to hear from you. I agree also with significance of attention.xml although I am not sure if APML is a fail case(I need to read a bit more into this). I am more intereted in ‘non human’ usecase like last.fm because I think that does have some merit – rather than humans explicitly doing this. A phone has all the elements to act analogous to the last.fm use case(see link above). what do you think? rgds Ajit

5. Kevin Smith says:

Hi Ajit,
    Opentaste is worth a look: it’s based on OAuth, OpenID, APML and microformats; in their own words
    “OpenTaste is focused on the semantics of taste information needed to make personalized recommendations.”
    And as the name would suggest, it’s open :)
    Best,