As many of you know, I chair Oxford University’s next generation mobile applications panel. (Free to join at forumoxford). Our last event was co-sponsored by Google and it was a great success.
Adrian Blair (Director Strategic partner development Google) was a speaker and Shannon Maher – Site Director for Engineering at Google has always been very supportive of my work in general and also forumoxford.
In that context, Google is looking for some very interesting positions in London and I am cross posting these from forumoxford to my blog.
Please don’t contact me about these – please contact the Google sourcer Sophie Le Masson: sophielm at google.com.
However, if you have a specific technical question about these positions, I may be able to add some insights
Direct candidates please (no recruiters)
For immediate consideration, please send a text (ASCII), PDF, Word or HTML version of your resume in English to Sophie Le Masson: sophielm at google.com.
Technical Account Manager – London
This position is available in London, UK.
Ready to tackle the industry’s leading challenges, affecting how millions click their mouse? Interested in joining a growing pool of world-class talent bent on bettering the world? Only Google can offer you so much potential for growth. Only Google’s Partner Solutions Organization (PSO) can expose you to the full breadth of the Google experience.
The Partner Solutions Organization is an integral part of every Google partnership responsible for signing deals worth billions. That’s our job, to forge strategic relationships that enable Google to acquire and distribute technology and content. Just two of our projects include Google Checkout, which is popping out all over the Web as a trusted means of payment and Gmail and Google Maps, which now go with you on your mobile device.
As a Technical Account Manager, you serve as the critical link between the lab and partner, helping to transform brilliant ideas into tangible products with your blend of technical and entrepreneurial skills. You are creative and self-motivated, excited to discover new business opportunities while optimizing existing relationships. You are comfortable assuming responsibility for all aspects of the partner relationship including the launch of new partners and the long-term satisfaction of existing partners.
• Explore and drive new business opportunities.
• Lead the integration and deployment of new partners.
• Solidify Google’s strategic partnerships across a variety of product lines, including search, mobile, video, and e-commerce.
• Guarantee the technical aspects of a partner’s integration (both new and ongoing) by providing the necessary documentation and technical guidance.
• Perform technical reviews, evangelize new product features, and ensure prompt and proper resolution of technical challenges.
• Analyze and optimize the revenue flow of existing partners.
• Assume responsibility for all aspects of a partner’s relationship with Google, forging long-term mutually beneficial partnerships.
• Bachelors degree in computer science (or related technical major) and/or a technically-oriented MBA.
• Strong experience in technical project management, program management, or professional services.
• Experience in Internet architecture and software development.
• Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional teams.
• Strong experience with Web technologies.
• Strong familiarity with Unix or Linux.
• HTML, XML and scripting programming experience.
• Broad understanding of TCP/IP, HTTP, and other internet protocols.
• Excellent written and oral business communication skills.
• High energy, strong team player, creative thinker, analytical skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to complete multiple tasks concurrently and deliver results under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
• Understanding of the search engine space and advertising industry.
• Previous work in a client-facing environment with various technical and non-technical teams.
• Expertise in one or more of the following vertical markets:
o Mobile—applications and content, not networking/hardware /infrastructure.
o Video—video on demand, streaming video.
o Search—scalable architecture, information retrieval, natural language processing, understanding of web development, online advertising, SEO, SEM.
o Ecommerce—billing systems, online payment, application development.
o Email—email migration, single sign-on, provisioning.
o ISP—search, advertising, etc.
o Content acquisition in any industry.
o VOIP and telephony–software, understanding of networking.
For immediate consideration, please send a text (ASCII), PDF, Word or HTML version of your resume in English to Sophie Le Masson: email@example.com.
Software Engineer, Television Technology– London
Position based in London, UK.
We are hiring well-rounded Software Engineers with a proven track record in creating and deploying robust, high-volume applications for consumer devices.
• To develop robust, high-volume applications for consumer devices.
• To develop prototype applications and manage the evolution of these to scalable, shipping products.
• BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or equivalent.
• Strong Java and/or C++ skills and object oriented design experience, including working knowledge of core libraries and design patterns.
• Experience developing client or server-based applications for consumer devices (mobile, TV, or games).
• Experience with emerging TV standards such as DVB, MHP and RTSP would be an advantage, as would direct experience deploying applications with cable or telecommunications partners across the world.
• Experience with content management systems, user interface development for content-rich applications, cable and IPTV headend systems and digital video technology in embedded systems a plus.
Technical Solutions Engineer – London
Position based in London, UK.
Are you reading this job description on your phone? Enjoy working with the latest technologies to solve real-world business problems? Want to deliver technical solutions that expand Google’s business and drive revenue growth through strategic partnerships? Interested in gaining in-depth experience across a broad range of industries?
As a Technical Solutions Engineer in Mobile, you enhance Google’s mobile products to make them more useful for our partners using your experience developing applications for mobile devices and your in-depth knowledge of mobile application platforms. In addition, your thorough understanding of Internet and wireless protocols enables you to build tools to prevent, diagnose, and resolve problems before they affect our partners.
Google’s Partner Solutions Organization (PSO) is a strategic technology group that incubates new business ideas and delivers engineering solutions critical to the success of our global partners and Google’s business. If you are a creative thinker who thrives in a fast-paced, market-driven environment, we want to talk to you. We are looking for self-motivated individuals to join our strategic execution team and solidify Google’s partnerships across a variety of product lines that include search, mobile, video, e-commerce, and many other new initiatives.
• Enhance Google’s mobile products to make them more useful for our partners.
• Work closely with our engineering team to enhance Google’s mobile products.
• Build tools to help diagnose and resolve problems before they impact our partners.
• BA/BS in computer science or related technical degree, MS a plus.
• Industry experience in the wireless software industry, experience working with mobile devices is a plus.
• Programming experience in C/C++, J2ME, or BREW.
• Knowledge of mobile networks and wireless messaging (SMS, EMS, MMS) preferred.
• In-depth knowledge of WAP, cHTML, XML/XSLT, HTTP, SSL, TCP/IP.
• Hands-on experience in UNIX or GNU/Linux system administration.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong organizational and analytical skills.
• High energy, self-motivated, detail-oriented, analytical.
Technical Lead Manager, Mobile Software Engineering – London
Position based in London, UK.
The successful candidate will be responsible for Mobile Software Engineering Technical Management in London. The Mobile SW Engineering Technical Lead Manager will create and manage the development of new and enhancement of existing Google products, and conduct regular product release reviews for the Mobile Team. The role will also be responsible for liaising with external partners at various phases in the project.
This is a highly visible position that is critical to Google’s future capability in the mobile space.
• Provide significant thought and hands-on technical leadership for London Mobile SW Engineering, including design and coding.
• Lead Mobile work in a number of the following areas:
o New mobile applications.
o Information retrieval algorithms.
o Large-scale cluster computing.
o Systems software.
o Java applications.
o A variety of new search products.
• Design, build and support client applications on mobile platforms, including Symbian, Palm, Java, and Microsoft Smartphones
• Work with other teams where components overlap
• Really contribute to a high quality team of people as smart as you
• Engage closely with the Product Management team to help determine the best technical implementation methods and reasonable execution schedules
• Develop and maintain strong communication processes to ensure smooth and efficient flow of accurate information across Google.com, especially between sites within EMEA and between EMEA and Mountain View.
• Candidates will be degree qualified in Computer Science or similar, and a PhD is desirable.
• Advanced professional technical background through actual Software Engineering in the Mobile arena.
• Proven track record for product delivery, and the effective line management of teams (10+ direct reports).
• Deep technical Mobile SW Engineering experience from a client sever/applications software environment (either in an enterprise software company or a consumer software company).
• Recognised as a hands-on technical driver of new mobile technology and products.
• Proven track record for technical product delivery with the ability to fit in well within an informal “start-up” environment requiring hands-on management.
• Demonstrated inherent ability “knowing how to learn”, mental agility, and people agility.
• Google is both a high mental-performance company and one in which working collaboratively in an almost hierarchy-free setting is prized.
• He/she will be able to establish credibility with smart engineers quickly.
• Proven track record of setting aggressive goals and meeting them, with a style characterised by personal motivation, organisational skills, and communications effectiveness.
• Ability to develop and monitor multiple project schedules and timelines, and to identify risks and mitigations.
• Must be able to communicate to senior executives internally and externally.
• Effective use of reading, writing, oral communications skills, presentation techniques, meeting mechanics, and teambuilding techniques.
• Strong experience in developing advanced applications on wireless devices: Symbian, Java (J2ME MIDP2.0), Palm, or Microsoft Smartphone/ PocketPC.
• Experience with extreme programming (XP)/ Agile development practices a plus.
Software Engineer, Mobile Applications – London
This position is based in London, UK.
* … a great coder, analyst, collaborator, inventor and architect all rolled into one?
* … looking for the next cool problem to solve, in a fast-paced and engineering-driven environment?
* … entertained in your off hours by taking things apart just to see how they work? Are you successful putting them back together when you’re done?
* … excited by the idea of making Google even faster, more reliable, more available, more – well, Googley?
If you answered “Yes” to more than three of the above questions, you may be our kind of Engineer! Keep reading.
Google is looking for highly intelligent, enthusiastic client applications engineers for Google’s Mobile team in London to help us make the world’s information universally accessible and useful – on mobile devices.
You must enjoy a challenge and love working with a high quality team of people as smart as you. This position provides an excellent opportunity to help drive the flow of information into users hands, with the backing of one of the most recognised brands in the world.
Our engineering team is working on problems in a number of areas, including cutting-edge mobile applications, information retrieval algorithms, large-scale cluster computing, systems software, Java applications, and a variety of novel search products.
* Designing, building and supporting client applications on mobile platforms, including Symbian, Palm, Java, and Microsoft Smartphones.
* Work closely with Product Management peers and users to understand product requirements, and with server-side colleagues to develop optimum client-server products.
* Be comfortable with multi-tasking, handling interrupts and interacting with a distributed team.
* University Degree in Computer Science (Ph.D a plus).
* Strong experience in developing advanced applications on wireless devices: Symbian, Java (J2ME MIDP2.0), Palm, or Microsoft Smartphone / PocketPC.
* Solid track record delivering successful client applications through the full product lifecycle.
* Excellent organisation, communication and interpersonal skills.
* Strong customer orientation.
* Experience with extreme programming (XP) / Agile development practices a plus.