Companies often forget that the mobile operator is not the only channel to market. In a discussion we had at the Mobile applications club, we identified 23 more.
Here they are
1) Embedded applications within the handset – for example embedded games like ‘Snake’ on Nokia handsets. This requires a partnership with the device manufacturer
2) Partnership programs created by operating system vendors such as Symbian. In general, many large vendors have partnership programs. Often, these programs also have a ‘marketplace’ i.e. a place where third party applications can be sold.
3) Third party content sites on the Internet for example Monstermob
4) Distributors/aggregators who could sell games or content from their site for example www.mforma.com or in turn resell the content to operators with whom they have built commercial relationships.
5) High street stores: Selling applications in high street stores – either Mobile operator owned or independent stores ex Carphone warehouse
6) SIM applications – i.e. applications deployed on the SIM card
7) Developer programs from handset manufactures such as forum Nokia
8) Bundling and packaging with other products – for example CD inlays for selling ringtones
9) Media / promotion / advertising companies who may manage brands. Promotion campaigns for these brands could include a Mobile element. Examples of such agencies are flytext
10) Web portals such as yahoo
11) Other media like Newspapers, television, radio stations etc who could be potential partners due to their access to a large customer base.
12) Specific channels depending on application types – for example offline dating agencies for Mobile dating applications
13) Systems integrators who could have existing relationships with large corporate customers.
14) Third party Mobile portals either based on WAP or more recently Java.
15) Fixed line operators(wireline, cable, DSL, Wifi)
16) MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators)
18) Partnerships with device manufacturers(add on memory applications)
19) Distribution via Bluetooth
20) Off portal revenues(Premium SMS/Bango etc)
21) Prepaid cards
22) Kiosk/Point of use
23) Viral marketing and ofcourse
24) The mobile operator!!
Original discussion HERE
Image: duke.edu via google images